The metal casting industry continues to live up to its reputation as a key component, driving the industrial growth and economy of the country. The casting industry is also a key employment churner as plenty of outsourcing vendors, job work services, and suppliers form a part of the larger industrial ecosystem. Another commercial spin-off of the metal casting industry is metal scrap, which, when recycled, can redefine reusability, energy use, and play an important role in curbing industrial pollution, particularly in developing countries.
Here, at VR Foundries, we follow the best practices that address critical technology implementation needs which will help foundries in cost-savings and improved profits. These practises have helped us reduce environmental effects, lower energy consumption and improve competitive advantage in the market.
Here’re some of the practices that we stick to which has helped us earn reputation as one of the most trusted casting manufacturers and suppliers in Coimbatore.
- We have improved operational infrastructure for reduced energy savings and power conservation measures, as part of the company policy.
- We strive to eliminate voltage imbalances, reduce losses from vibrations, torque pulsation, overheating and mechanical stresses. This can also be achieved by setting up variable frequency drives on motors.
- Put off lighting and equipment when not required. We have set up a start-up and shut-down process that automatically helps place cap on increased energy utilization.
- The compressed air pressure set point is reduced by 10%. We don’t maintain excess air system pressure because it is expensive. We maintain the system properly, and check for air system leaks regularly with continuous repairing process.
- Use of fluorescent lightning with magnetic ballast has replaced older ballasts improving efficiency. We have installed focussed lightning at points where inspection is carried out, instead of less-efficient ceiling lights.
- We follow improved melting practises. However, this does depend on what type of melting system is employed by a particular foundry. We have established good melting process for better energy savings, thanks to our furnace systems. We find pre-heated oxygen/air and optimised burner designs excellent for gas-fired furnaces.
- Follow short cycle treatment. For instance, furnaces and furnace linings of high efficiency are usually cost-effective. We no longer stick to highly conservative and waste energy heat treatment methods.
- Our compressors are properly-sized, neither over-sized nor petite. We use air storage systems to minimize idling of compressors. We check for reduced leaks at couple, valves and also pipe joints.
We will follow it up with more details on some of the best foundry practices in the concluding part of the blog.